Wednesday 5 December 2012

DIY christmas presents; home made chilli oil.

Being a student I am a big fan of the home made gift as it is way cheaper than buying from a shop. However it also shows the recipient that thought and effort has been put in to what they are receiving, a win win! this year I am making my mum some chilli oil, she loves to cook and unlike me adores spicy food.

I had a kind of recipe which I looked at which was this; 

450 ml Olive oil
20g Dried red chilli flakes
3-4 whole dried chillies

Gently warm olive oil in a saucepan. Add chilli flakes and whole chillies to the oil and heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave the oil to cool slightly.

When the oil has cooled slightly transfer it to a sealable glass bottle, including the chilli flakes and whole chillies.

store in a cool dark place, shaking the bottles once a week. As time goes on they will become redder and hotter.


This was actually really quick and easy to do, and the colours are so gorgeous! I couldn't help trying to capture them so here are my attempts;




I will let you know if she likes her present! are you giving any home made gifts this year?

Meg x

No comments:

Post a Comment